MWPA SCHOLARSHIPS FOR MAINE WRITERS
The Maine Writers & Publishers Alliance is proud to offer full scholarships for MWPA members to attend various workshops throughout the year. The scholarships are awarded on a mix of need and merit.
The scholarships are open to all current MWPA members.
- The scholarships are open to writers in all genre.
- There is no fee to apply.
- Applying for a scholarship does NOT reserve a spot in a workshop; if scholarship applicants want to ensure a spot in a workshop regardless of whether or not they win a scholarship, they must register and pay for the workshop in tandem with their scholarship application.
- All prospective scholars must submit an application (PDF), statement of need, and work sample—see details below.
- Please make sure to follow the submission instructions carefully. Incomplete or late applications can not be considered.
- Previous scholarship winners are asked to wait six months after receiving a scholarship before applying again.
- Deadlines for scholarships fall throughout the year.
- Visit our workshop listings page for more information.
Scholarship Submission Instructions
STATEMENT OF NEED
All applications must include a cover page with the author’s name, the title of submitted work sample, and a statement of need that does not exceed 500 words. The statement of need should address the following questions:
- Why you are applying for scholarship?
- What you hope to get out of the workshop you are applying for?
- What are your personal writing goals and aspirations?
Applicants must submit a manuscript of their work, which cannot exceed ten pages of prose or five pages of poetry (one poem per page). Unpublished work is, of course, accepted, as is previously published stories, essays, and poems, including excerpts from larger works. No submissions will be returned. All manuscripts must meet the following requirements:
- The author’s name must not appear on any of the manuscript pages.
- The title of the work must appear at the top or bottom of each page.
- Page numbers must appear at the bottom of each page.
- 12-point font, double-spaced lines (for prose), and one-inch margins on 8.5 x 11 paper.
- Handwritten applications will not be accepted.
- Every submission must include: application (PDF), statement of need, work sample.
- Email submissions are NOT accepted.
- Submissions may be mailed to:
Maine Writers & Publishers Alliance
Attn: MWPA Scholarship
Glickman Family Library
318 Forest Avenue, Room 318
Portland, ME 04101
All scholars are asked to submit a brief report within two weeks of the workshop. The report should describe how the scholar benefited from the experience, and particularly how it helped to advance the fellow’s writing, career, or literary aspirations. Excerpts from these reports may be used by the Maine Writers & Publishers Alliance when publicizing the scholarships
Questions about the scholarships may be directed to Joshua Bodwell.