On December 2, the Maine Arts Commission announced it would accept nominations for the next Maine Poet Laureate for just 20 days. Interested parties have until December 22 to submit.
– Must be full-time Maine residents
– Must have a distinguished body of poetic work
– Up to five poems, totaling no more than 10 pages
– A one-page statement outlining your vision for your public role as Poet Laureate
– A copy of your resume
– Email to Julie Richard, Executive Director, Maine Arts Commission at Julie.Richard@maine.gov
– Due no later than December 22
– Incomplete submissions will not be reviewed
More Information Maine Arts Commission
Maine Poet Laureate Wesley McNair is the state’s fourth laureate. His predecessors are: Kate Barnes (1996-1999), Baron Wormser (2000-2005), and Betsy Sholl (2006-2011). Maine’s Poet Laureate position was established by Maine statute in 1995. The laureate is appointed for a five-year term and may be reappointed for a second consecutive term. The appointment is designed to promote poetry throughout the state while honoring an eminent Maine poet for their achievements. According to the state statute the position is honorary and carries with it no formal obligations.
Contact: Marc Spruiell